Tom Welling is probably best known for playing Clark Kent on the hit television series Smallville (2001).
He was born Thomas Joseph Welling in Putnam Valley, New York, to Bonnie and Thomas Welling, who is a retired executive for General Motors. He has a younger brother, Mark Welling, who is also an actor, and two older sisters. He is of three quarters German and one quarter British Isles (mostly Irish) descent. Welling graduated from Okemos High School in Okemos, Michigan, when he was eighteen years old. Before that, he spent his freshman year in the Salesianum School in Wilmington, Delaware. He played a lot of varsity soccer in his high school and received "fair" grades on his exams. But even so, Tom did not want to go to college. He wanted to be a construction worker and after graduation worked in a construction service site.
Tom eventually moved on to modeling after spending a period of time working in the construction business. While modeling, he met fellow celebrity and model Ashton Kutcher while they were booked for a project together. The two eventually become good friends. Even though both Ashton and Tom were famous models, Tom decided to be an actor. He had an offer from a guy who worked in the agency he was signed with to be an actor. Tom attended a few casting calls and not too long later, became an actor.
The acting gigs that he received eventually made directors take more notice of him. Tom Welling was asked to play the role of Clark Kent in the hit series Smallville (2001). What many people probably don't know is that Tom turned down the role twice. He said that the reason he turned down the role wasn't because the story wasn't good, but it was because he thought the role was bigger than he was and he didn't want people to think that he wasn't a good enough actor.
Even so, Tom ended up taking the role because he had the feeling that the show was going to be a great hit and he would be a fool not to take it. Tom even said he felt some sort of connection between himself and his character, Clark Kent. Therefore, Tom made himself a household name.
Other than only becoming a face on television, Welling also acts in other movies. The movie with which he is probably most associated is Cheaper by the Dozen (2003), in which he starred with Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt, and its sequel, Cheaper by the Dozen 2 (2005), in which he repeated his prior role. Tom has also starred in a B-grade horror flick, The Fog (2005), together with Lost (2004)'s star, Maggie Grace. Although that movie didn't really achieve box-office success, Tom's acting talents still got noticed by the critics. More recently, he co-starred in the fictional historical drama Parkland (2013) with Zac Efron, whom he befriended.
Tom married Jamie White, one of his closest friends, on July 5, 2002. Tom has said that the person he respects the most is his wife, because she has the greatest heart. According to reports, while working on Smallville, he lived with his wife in Los Angeles, and relocated to Vancouver for filming. Tom and Jamie separated in 2013.
Anime Convention Guest Appearances
- GalaxyCon Columbus 2022 - December 2-4, 2022 in Columbus, OH, USA
- Fan Expo San Francisco 2022 - November 25-27, 2022 in San Francisco, CA, USA
Edmonton Expo 2022 - September 16-18, 2022 in Edmonton, ABCancelled Appearance
- Fan Expo Boston 2022 - August 12-14, 2022 in Boston, MA, USA
- GalaxyCon Raleigh 2022 - July 28-31, 2022 in Raleigh, NC, USA
- Supanova Comic-Con & Gaming - Perth 2022 - June 25-26, 2022 in Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- Supanova Comic-Con & Gaming - Sydney 2022 - June 18-19, 2022 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Fan Expo St. Louis 2022 - May 13-15, 2022 in St. Louis, MO, USA
Fan Expo Philadelphia 2022 - April 8-10, 2022 in Philadelphia, PA, USACancelled Appearance
- Fan Expo Vancouver 2022 - February 19-21, 2022 in Vancouver, BC 2021
Armageddon Auckland 2021 - December 17-19, 2021 in Auckland, New ZealandConvention Cancelled Armageddon Auckland 2021 - November 26-28, 2021 in Auckland, New ZealandConvention Postponed
- Paris Manga & Sci-Fi Show 2021 - November 6-7, 2021 in Paris, France
- Fan Expo Denver: Special Edition 2021 - October 29-31, 2021 in Denver, CO, USA
- Dragon Con 2021 - September 2-6, 2021 in Atlanta, GA, USA 2020
Supanova Comic-Con & Gaming Expo - Perth 2020 - August 14-16, 2020 in Perth, Western Australia, AustraliaConvention Postponed Supanova Comic-Con & Gaming Expo - Sydney 2020 - August 7-9, 2020 in Sydney, New South Wales, AustraliaConvention Postponed Supanova Comic-Con & Gaming Expo - Perth 2020 - June 26-28, 2020 in Perth, Western Australia, AustraliaConvention Postponed Supanova Comic-Con & Gaming Expo - Sydney 2020 - June 19-21, 2020 in Sydney, New South Wales, AustraliaConvention Postponed Paris Manga & Sci-Fi Show 2020 - March 7-8, 2020 in Paris, FranceConvention Cancelled
- FanExpo Vancouver 2020 - February 15-17, 2020 in Vancouver, BC 2019
- FanExpo Canada 2019 - August 22-25, 2019 in Toronto, ON
Fan Expo Boston 2019 - August 16-18, 2019 in Boston, MA, USACancelled Appearance Montreal Comiccon 2019 - July 5-7, 2019 in Montreal, QCCancelled Appearance Supanova Comic-Con & Gaming Expo - Perth 2019 - June 28-30, 2019 in Perth, Western Australia, AustraliaCancelled Appearance Supanova Comic-Con & Gaming Expo - Sydney 2019 - June 21-23, 2019 in Sydney, New South Wales, AustraliaCancelled Appearance
- MegaCon Orlando 2019 - May 16-19, 2019 in Orlando, FL, USA
- Fan Expo Dallas 2019 - May 3-5, 2019 in Dallas, TX, USA
- Armageddon Wellington 2019 - April 13-15, 2019 in Wellington, New Zealand 2018
- Paris Manga & Sci-Fi Show 2018 - October 20-21, 2018 in Paris, France
- Dragon Con 2018 - August 30 - September 3, 2018 in Atlanta, GA, USA
- Supanova Pop Culture Expo - Gold Coast 2018 - April 27-29, 2018 in Broadbeach, Queensland, Australia
- Supanova Pop Culture Expo - Melbourne 2018 - April 20-22, 2018 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
20 confirmed guest appearances
View Tom Welling on FanCons.com for 40 additional guest appearances