Translator / Interpreter
Osaka-born and Manhattan-raised, Mari never strayed far from urbanity until she spent nine years at Cornell. Actually, it's Dr. Morimoto, whose "real job" as a big city veterinarian often wars with her "moonlighting" as a freelance manga translator. She got her foot in the door with VIZ Media through luck and circumstance, and since then has expanded her resume to include panelist, panel leader, Guest of Honor personal assistant and interpreter, and Guest of Honor at several northeast conventions. She has also contributed several articles to the English edition of SHONEN JUMP. A highlight of her translating career was meeting and rubbing elbows with Dragonball creator Akira Toriyama. As a child, she had the honor of meeting the late Osamu Tezuka.
Her current titles are Naruto, Inuyasha, and Dragon Eye, but she has also previously translated Dragonball, Maison Ikkoku, One Pound Gospel, Knights of the Zodiac, and the DiGi Charat anthology.
[In addition to below, served as interpreter at the following: Anime Boston 2006-2008, Anime Next 2006-2007, Anime USA 2005-2007, Manga Next 2006-2008, New York Anime Festival 2007-2008, New York Comic Con 2007, Shojocon 2003, Yuricon 2003 and 2007, and numerous one-day events in the New York City area.]
Anime Convention Guest Appearances
- MangaNEXT 2008 - October 31 - November 2, 2008 in Somerset, NJ, USA
- SITACon 2008 - October 10-12, 2008 in Utica, NY, USA
- AnimeNEXT 2008 - June 20-22, 2008 in Secaucus, NJ, USA
- MangaNEXT 2007 - October 5-7, 2007 in Secaucus, NJ, USA
- AnimeNEXT 2007 - July 6-8, 2007 in Secaucus, NJ, USA
- MangaNEXT 2006 - October 6-8, 2006 in Secaucus, NJ, USA
- AnimeNEXT 2006 - June 16-18, 2006 in Secaucus, NJ, USA
- AnimeNEXT 2004 - June 18-20, 2004 in Secaucus, NJ, USA
- Conbust 2004 - April 2-4, 2004 in Northampton, MA, USA